Cavan Property by Town / Suburbs

Bawnboy property (1)Kilnaleck property (2) 

3 Houses for for sale in County Cavan. Displaying ALL Cavan properties

 Bawnboy Property

Bawnboy Cottage for sale
2 Homes at Gowlagh South - Bawnboy - Cottage
Bedrooms : 5
Price : € 179,950

2 Houses for Sale on 0.8 acre of mature gardens with beautiful views of surrounding countryside. ...

 Kilnaleck Property

Kilnaleck Bungalow for sale
Omard - Kilnaleck - Bungalow
Bedrooms : 3
Price : € 180,000

Three bed bungalow 9 miles from Cavan , 5 from ballyjamesduff and convenient for lough sheelin ...

 Kilnaleck Property

Kilnaleck Semi Detached House for sale
1 Carnival Close - Kilnaleck - Semi Detached House
Bedrooms : 3
Price : € 130,000

End of terrace house, conveniently located on the edge of the village, close to all amenities and beside school and community resource centre. ...

     



    1       Refine Search

County Cavan - Description

County Cavan is buzzing with lively towns and villages, award-winning restaurants, comtemporary hotels, outdoor adventure, canoeing, mud buggies, a vibrant arts and theatre scene and friendly people. With spectacular scenery, championship golf courses, walks, cycle routes, museums, heritage and cultural centres, excellent angling, sparkling lakes, cruising and many activities, County Cavan is a popular destination. The Cavan area has been inhabited for over 5,000 years and there is much evidence of these early Cavan people throughout the county. The West Cavan area is particularly rich in archaeological sites. Throughout Co. Cavan many people lived on artificial islands or Crannogs, many of which were used for hundreds of years. Missionaries converted the County Cavan to Christianity in the 6th Century. St Feidhlim founded a church at Kilmore, while St Mogue set up an abbey at Drumlane. In the Later Middle Ages (1200-1600), Cavan was a border area under the control of Irish chieftains. The Anglo-Normans had settled to the West and South as they tried to conquer Cavan but were driven back. They built a castle at Lough Oughter and a motte and bailey at Belturbet. In 1579 County Cavan took on its present boundaries. In the early 17th Century Cavan was settled by planters from England and Scotland who laid the foundations for many towns and villages such as Belturbet, Killeshandra and Virginia. In the next century their descendants built fine houses, many of which are still standing today. Cavan's history as a holiday destination dates from this time, when visitors from all over Ireland flocked to the mineral spas at Swanlinbar in West Cavan. The countryside prospered with the growth of the linen industry. The process of turning flax plants into linen took place locally. The cloth was then sold in Cootehill. The population grew dramatically, and in 1841 nearly a quarter of a million people lived here - over four times the current population. At this time over half the population depended entirely on potatoes for food. When the potato crop failed for two successive years in 1845 and 1846, there was widespread starvation and hardship. After the Famine Cavan became a very rural area, with many lively market towns and villages, but few industries. Widespread emmigration took place in search of work to America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, where many gained wealth and fame. [Source : Cavantourism.com]